Individuals who hold the CHES® and MCHES® certifications have the versatility and skill sets to practice in many different career settings, across the country and even overseas. Job settings were identified in the 2015 Health Education Specialist Practice Analysis (HESPA) include the following: Community/non-profit, Health Care/Hospitals, Government, School Health, Academia/University, and Business/Worksite.
Certified Health Education Specialists in the Business/Worksite professional setting can work for insurance companies, own a private practice, or are employed by other professional organizations/companies to provide worksite wellness opportunities for employees or clients.
Job duties may often include:
- client relationships
- yearly strategic business planning
- marketing strategies, program planning and evaluation
- tracking/analyzing program data
- providing health education and worksite wellness programming
- providing educational resources and trainings
Meet Ronenia Jenkins
(MPH, CHES®: Employee Wellness Program Administrator for Nova Southeastern)
Ronenia obtained her CHES®-certification in 2011, and now sits in a volunteer leadership position on NCHEC’s Board of Commissioners as well as NCHEC's marketing and finance committees.
Her job duties include:
- Implementing, coordinating, educating and promoting health and health events
- Speaking engagements, presentations and health fairs.
- Creating work-site wellness programs for companies looking to improve their employee’s health
Meet Ashley Monson
(BS, CHES®: Association Director and Project Manager for Badger Bay Management Company)
Ashley became CHES®-certified in 2015, and feels that her credibility has increased among the field of public health workers in her state as a result. She recently accepted a volunteer position on the NCHEC Marketing Committee.
Her job position involves:
- Working with clients to access membership needs and capacities
- Plan and implement client priorities for the year
- Uses process, impact and outcome evaluation measures to track progress
- Provide resources for health education discussions and planning
Meet Dr. Joanna Hayden
(PhD, CHES®: Founder of Associates for Health, a private health consulting firm in Sparta, NJ)
Dr. Hayden teaches/guides clients through all aspects of health decisions. She became a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES®) in 1989. Her job role includes such duties as:
- health coaching, decision-making and behavior change for clients and organizations
- creating and implementing group presentations and speaking engagments
- consulting for large organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Indian Health Services, the Council on Education for Public Health, Inc., and other public health and educational entities.
- authorship; Joanna has published the book, Introduction to Health Behavior Theory