Category I COVID Claim Form Opportunity
The NCHEC Division Board of Commissioners (BOC) would like to recognize the invaluable work of our CHES® and MCHES® in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Commissioners have voted to offer a one-time Category I CECH opportunity for those who have completed health education activities related to COVID-19 within their normal scope of work, or outside their normal scope of work.
We recognize the significance of the extraordinary professional development that has occurred in our field since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. We have heard some of your concerns about obtaining continuing education while experiencing increased workload and decreased availability of in-person trainings or conferences.
In response, NCHEC has developed a new Category I COVID claim form in order for CHES® and MCHES® to document COVID-related work they have completed that relates to the Areas of Responsibilities and Competencies for Health Education Specialists. This is a one-time opportunity, and will include a flat rate of 15 Category I credits toward your recertification cycle. We thank you for your dedication to the field of health education and promotion and your certification during these unprecedented times!
Please keep in mind these important factors:
- The Category I COVID claim form can only be completed once.
- A supervisor or manager MUST review and verify that you have completed the activities indicated on you submission.
- CHES®/MCHES® must attest to at least 15 hours of active health education work related to COVID-19.
- The date range for these activities must fall within January 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021.
- For your convenience, the form may be submitted online through your CHES/MCHES portal. Email submissions of the form will also be accepted, although online submission of the form through the portal is preferred.
- Your claim form will be reviewed by NCHEC staff, and you may be contacted with questions concerning your submission.
- COVID-19 activities must relate to Health Education Competencies and Sub-Competencies.
- Once your form has been submitted and approved, the link will no longer be available in your CHES®/MCHES® portal.
- The form must be submitted before October 1, 2021.
Please follow the guidelines below when filling out the COVID-19 Category I Claim Form.
- Step 1. Please fill in your name and CHES®/MCHES® ID number and thorough review the affirmation that you have completed a minimum of 15 hours of COVID-related work.
- Step 2. Please provide a description (200 words or less) of the COVID-related activities that you have completed, including, how it relates to an Area of Responsibility or Advanced-level Sub-competency (MCHES®).
- Step 3. If you hold the MCHES® credential, please identify the Advanced-level Sub-Competency that relates to your activities. MCHES® will be awarded advanced-level credits toward recertification. This does not apply to CHES®.
- Step 4. Take the form to the person you have chosen to verify your COVID-related work activities and have them fill out the gray shaded areas. The verifier may be a current supervisor/manager, volunteer coordinator, or a client. The verifier must also attest that there is no conflict of interest in signing the COVID-19 claim form.
- Scan and save the form as a pdf.
- Upload the form with your CHES® or MCHES® portal on nchec.org or by emailing it to email@example.com. (online submissions preferred)
- Please allow several weeks for the processing of your form. If there are questions regarding your form, you may be contacted by NCHEC staff.