Helen P. Cleary Scholarship for Certified Health Education Credentialing Exam
The Helen P. Cleary Scholarship is designed to assist full-time undergraduate or graduate students with the fees associated with the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES®) examination.
Students must demonstrate both financial need and a passion for their chosen field of Health Education and Promotion during their academic careers. NCHEC is sponsoring this scholarship opportunity, and the awards process will be administered by the Society for Public Health Education, Inc. (SOPHE).
Scholarships may be awarded to student applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Open to students who are pursuing a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral health education-related degree from an accredited university in the United States
- At the time of application, students enrolled full-time (9 hrs/semester or more) at an institution of higher education that prepares students for the CHES® examinations and will graduate within 90 days (before or after) taking the exam.
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 overall GPA
- Demonstrate accomplishments or service in the field of health education during academic studies
- Demonstrate the need for financial support for certification exam fees and study materials
The online application process for the scholarship can be found on www.sophe.org. Applicants must complete:
- Completed online application with background information
- Current academic Transcript (official preferred/unofficial acceptable)
- Completed demonstrated financial need form – download, complete and submit
- Signed faculty sponsorship form – download, complete and submit
- One page personal statement communicating enthusiasm for the profession and articulating the importance of certification to meet professional goals. The statement should be typed, single-spaced, maximum of 1-page in length, minimum of 11-point font, and 1-inch margins on all sides, use standard rules of grammar, punctuation, and writing.
Assemble transcript, completed financial need and signed faculty sponsorship forms, and personal statement before submitting the online application.
2021 Fall CHES® examination -closed
Apply: April 12 – 16, 2021
Notification: May 21, 2021
2022 Spring CHES® examination
Apply: September 20 – 24, 2021
Notification: October 29, 2021
2022 Fall CHES® examination
Apply: April 11 – 15, 2022
Notification: May 20, 2022
2023 Spring CHES® examination
Apply: September 19 – 23, 2022
Notification: October 28, 2022
2023 Fall CHES® examination
Apply: April 10 – 14, 2023
Notification: May 19, 2023
**Only complete applications including all necessary forms and attachments will be considered.
APRIL 2021 AWARD RECIPIENTS